Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Aug 21, 2001- First Day in Leh

We are now in Leh after a trip that basically lasted 3 days. The last day we traveled a full 17 hours over the highest motorable road in the world. We literally went over the "top of the world" when we passed over the Tangla La Pass which is almost 6000 meters.  Posted by Picasa The trip was not easy but ALOT easier than I imagined it would be. I did not suffer any altitude sickness, no headache, no nausea...just was very tired and slept alot in this jeep that was driving over roads not roads and bumping and swaying the whole way...and I slept!!!

The only time I noticed the lack of oxygen was when I had to pee!!! I never realized how much exertion it is to walk a few meters away from the jeep, pull down your pants, squat, and then pull everything back up and get your money belt and 5 layers of clothing all neatly tucked back in again!

The trip over the Himalayas kept reminding me of the song Daddy used to sing to us...

the man went over the mountain
the man went over the mountain
the man went over the mountain

and what do you think he saw....he saw another mountain...etc.

and what do you think he did?...he climbed the other mountain etc.

And that is basically what we did for 17 hours!!! There is no way words can describe what we experienced during this trip however.

Desolate, isolated, uninhabited, stark barren beauty, heaven, endless, peaks and more peaks and more peaks, snow capped until finally you get to a point where all the peaks are below you! It is indescribable and photographs cannot capture it either....it is something you must experience. I don't think I have ever done something so grueling in my life and don't regret a minute of it. I got through it better than I could ever have imagined and am quite proud of myself.

We are now in Leh and I can understand one of the reasons Chanale loved it here and didn't want to leave. The whole town is one giant flea market!! Yesterday, our first day here we mostly rested to get used to the lack of oxygen, and in the evening went out a little. I'm feeling very well but even for me walking up the hill was too difficult. Today should be better. I finally found food I like..Tibetan food is much more interesting and tasty than indian food. The dal (lentils) is all I really like here but the tibetan food we ate yesterday was fantastic. Today I will be eating Italian food for lunch. Really miss Pasta!!! As in Manali, there are signs all over the [place here in Hebrew but there are tourists here from all over the world. We are in an expensive hotel now ($25 a day for the room) and will be looking for a cheaper place today.

The place here has something magical about it which I am finding difficult to put into words even for myself. But when I manage to figure it out, I will write to all of you.

We are in a valley caressed by the Himalayas on all sides, with snow-capped peaks looking down on us.   Posted by Picasa The flowers which grow here in the gardens are unbelievably beautiful and lush, the people beautiful, serene smiling peaceful and pleasant. Nothing like other Indians we've met so far. But they basically are Tibetans and the area is Buddhist. They are beautiful people.

We haven't really explored yet but will be here for another 8 days before leaving. Seems like I won't want to leave here. Might just change my plans...will see. Soon it will begin snowing here however and then it is a problem to get out. The weather is beautiful. Very warm during the day. The sun is VERY VERY strong at this altitude and in the morning and nite quite cool.