Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Friday, September 29, 2006

Sept 4-6, 2001- The View from the Terrace and The Movie “Theater” and Dry Clothes During Monsoon

Sept 4th,,,10:30 PM

Well, just to end a perfect day...I had been resting and reading when Dyanne came at 7:15 to invite me to the movies! (a picture I had never heard of but you must see it if you can...called "Baraka") Well, we just got back after movies and dinner and I will now read a little and go to sleep. I am really, truly, finally on a real vacation and enjoying every minute! Now playing solitaire and listening to Music and eating cookies! What a life!

It is now morning of September 5th, 7 AM I'm getting back to my old feeling of familiar home and schedule...and I just realized what the best thing about this room is...not only that I have my music whenever I want it. But I have this nice big bed(it's a double room), and one side is where I sleep and one side is where I have all my "stuff"...just like at home! I could actually see myself living here...of course winter comes in a few months and it snows...but right now it is wonderful. and there is so much left to explore...I haven't even begun...maybe today I will feel like it and if not...there is always tomorrow!!

9:40 AM...I've just finished eating breakfast and that delicious Tibetan tea, Tibetan brown bread (which most resembles and english muffin in shape, but is made of whole flour and is denser but very delicious) and I had two sunny-side up eggs for a change.

I am looking out the window at the nearby hills (3000+meters) and the distant Himalayas covered inmist...and below, flowing away the green lush valleycovered with trees and dotted with houses...from whereI sit the valley is like a gorge with the "hills"rising on both sides. There is a little sun thismorning which is very pleasant and the air is crisp.Very pleasant just sitting here.

I brought some stuff in to the laundry since the one big problem here isNOTHING DRIES and even if it started dry, if it is not in plastic bags it absorbs moisture...Like I have to go out and buy a cigarette lighter since my matches don't work and everything I finally have dry, I am now keeping in plastic bags for safe keeping. The laundry apparently dries the stuff as best as they can and then uses a drier for the final drying and then irons the stuff so it is really nice when I get it back. But I only have one long sleeve T-shirt (aside..bought another nice one yesterday in a shop for only 12 shekel) and I don't want to be without it for 2 days. and so for now I am wearing it waiting for a warmer day to give it in. Today I have in 1 pair of pants, 2underpants, 3 pair of sox all had been drying for 4days and were still damp...and it cost me 50 rupees.

September 6th...10:30 AM

Well, yesterday after resting in the afternoon I went down to lunch with Dyanne and we had delicious fried vegetable momos (remember I told you when they are in soup they are similar to kreplach) and I had tofu spinach soup...mmmmmmmmmmm!

I then went to get my horoscope from a Tibetan monk and she went off to the tibetan doctor I recommended...as she has the beginnings of a sore throat.

The reading was amazing. I wrote it all down and one day if I have the inclination, I will write it down. He also gave me his e-mail and told me to write to him anytime I have a question.

Then I went back to the room for a few minutes as I was planning to go out and see the movie"chocolate"...all of a sudden the heavens opened...since from my experience rain doesn't last very long here...I simply took my umbrella and went out. But this was REAL RAIN...I was soaked through almost instantly up to my knees...drenched...but just went on to the "movie theater" got there and in walked with me some other drenched people with no place else to go...it is actually someone’s home. A big cavernous high ceiling room with a bed, large screen TV and DVD and rows of old, hard benches to sit on. A little girl was watching Tom and Jerry on the Cartoon Channel and was quite upset when 6 PM came around and the movie had to start!!

The rain pouring onto the tin roof was thunderous and the first 1/2 of the movie we really had to concentrate to hear. Twice the electricity went off and the generator had to be started but it was a GREAT movie and I'm not sorry I went.

I headed back for my room hoping at least for a hot shower but still no electricity so I settled for a tomato cheese toast and hot ginger tea, said "HI" toDyanne and then put on some nice music, read and slept peacefully until this morning.

And guess what? The sun is shining for real for the first time since I'm here and it is even more beautiful than I realized. Hung out all my blankets and sheets to air and now am after breakfast and off to do some errands.