Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sept 3, 2001- McLeod, Dharamsala Chopin, Monkeys, Oatmeal Cookies and Monsoon

I am laying in bed, listening to Chopin, eating oatmeal raisin homemade cookies and apples (after a lunch of spinach ravioli - all freshly home made including spinach and tomatoes picked from the garden and home made pasta) and reading Robin Cook's Contagion and thoroughly enjoying myself and at complete peace. Outside there are monkeys looking in my window, monsoon rains pouring out of the sky and blocking out the sun for awhile and misting the mountain tops. I am completely at peace. Lavender insense pervading the room and I feel completely and serenly at home.

Went to a Tibetan doctor's clinic for something for my cough and after simply feeling my pulse she reported: "You have shoulder, upper back and neck pain, knee and hip pain especially on the right side, sensitive stomach, constipation right now and sometimes extremely low blood pressure!!"She gave me a prescription to take care of all these ills and I have to report back in 7 days with a urine specimen. All this including the herbal rememdies for a week (5 kinds of pills) for only 40 rupees!! She was so pleasant and serene-also checked my blood pressure which to my surprise was 100/80-don't remember when I last had such a normal BP.

9 PM...I slept awhile and then a deluge of rain thunder and lightening began. Haven't seen anything like it in a long time. And I had no desire to go out so got myself together...went to the kitchen here and the guy prepared me a grilled cheese sandwich and ginger and honey tea and brought it to my room.

I sat and read and listened to music and ate my last oatmeal cookie for dessert and just sitting here relaxing and thinking how blessed I am to be able to do this with my life! The room is very plain but very cozy and I've fixed it up to look like "home". The music is great, I'm so glad I went to all the trouble of making those tapes for myself. I have a sheet and pillow case from home. Put my sarong on one of the tables, the walls are covered in bamboo and straw woven mats and it is really very comfortable. I've asked for hot water for a morning shower and it will be heated at 7 AM so I know I will have a nice hot shower when I get up [ i DID have nice hot shower...with very strong flow which I haven't had once yet in India...it was quite a pleasant surprise!].

Spoke with the owner and she has a beauty salon [i have a 12 PM appointment today for a body massage and facial!!] downstairs and she is also a Reiki Master and I might do my master with her. She also suggested a very good place right nearby to do yoga [I already did here in the room but I really like once and awhile together in a group]. So tomorrow I will go out and see where that is and then pamper myself a little and just relax for the next couple of days. I will explore the town and then in a couple of days start taking walks up in the mountains which are right out side the back door here. I've been given some suggestions for nice walks of up to an hour with a "tea house" to sit and rest along the way. Hope to take longer and longer walks and maybe even get up the nerve to take an overnite trek.

Well, it's still the same day but 4 PM and after an interesting and relaxing day am getting back to catching up with myself.

The weather here is far from ideal, still lots of rain and nothing dries so i will be giving my stuff into the laundry from now on. Prowled around this morning and bought some stuff for the room...hangers, small mirror, rubber shoes for hanging around, woolen socks for cold feet after having a great breakfast of tsampa porridge which is tibetan and made from barley instead of oatmeal and is delicious...very smooth...and tibetan brown bread with butter and honey and tibetan herb tea which is supposed to be very good for colds and coughs.

Then I went back to my room and read a little before going for my facial and body massage...yummy! Then had some hot ginger and honey tea and a hot shower and went for lunch with Dyanne, the lady I met here. She showed me a few more interesting places good to know about and then we had absolutely delicious chop suey with fresh veggies and tofu and homemade crunchy noodles for lunch. Thought we would have choclate cake for dessert but had no room so I bought some choclate chip cookies to take back to the room. I picked up my laundry which I gave in two days ago and will soon go back to the room to listen to music, read and rest and either go out for dinner or eat in the guest house. End of another lovely day. Still haven't done much checking of courses etc. but I have plenty of time...just enjoying being with myself right now.
I am feeling so pleased with myself.