Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sept 27, 2001 Holy Swami’s and the Godfather

Well, a little out of order but have to tell you about yesterday.

What a long and beautiful and rewarding day!

Started at 9 AM at the newspaper and when I got there they were all eating breakfast and didn't think anything unusual about the fact that a volunteer had come to help them and she was just sitting and waiting for them to finish leisurely eating breakfast before bothering to turn on the computer and see what had to be done. So I patiently waited, reading a book, finished up the rest of the proofreading and headed on my way.

Up to bhagsu to make an appointment for my back. Something has happened to my lower back which is one of the few places on my body that I never have any trouble. And it is not getting any better. The massage therapist wasn't sure what was wrong but made an appointment for2:30.

then looked for the Godfather but he was not there...they told me to come back in the afternoon. Down again to McLeod, met the new lady who is staying in the room next door to me...something doesn't sit right about her...wrong energies or chemistry...don't know.. Then back up to Bhagsu, massage, which actually initially made my back feel more relaxed and less stiff but this morning woke up with the same stiffness there. Can hardly bend, can't lift my leg to put it into my pants etc. So yesterday she suggested a guy who does healing and I made an appointment for today at 3:30...maybe he can help. I know acupuncture would help but am not letting anybody put needles into me here in India.

Then, on my way down the hill home, a guy stopped me and asked if I am still looking for "Onkar" but I thought he was bugging me and asking me if I was looking for my "own car" and had no idea what he wanted from me. Finally I realized he was telling me that "Zonkar" (the godfather) was there. So I went over to meet this man.

He was sitting in all his glory with men around him overlooking the street at a table and chairs, outdoors. If I had to typecast someone to play him in a movie I would need across between a 50 something year old Al Pacino and Robert De Niro with 3 day beard put together. He looked like a real gangster but seemed very pleased to listen to me. Asked if we could talk in private and he took me into his office. Told him the story not completely sure if he actually understood me. Then he asked me to come back outside. He apparently likes to sit out there and hold court where everyone can go by and Namaste him etc .

I asked if he could think of something to do and he said "no problem..leave it to me...I will take care of it". I asked to not be involved as I plan to come back and don't want any enemies or hard feelings and he said"If anyone causes you any trouble, just come and see me!!" Anyway, in the end...with his broken English I understood that he is highly intelligent and very deep and he understood all the ramifications of this problem. He said, there are alot of "holy swami"people (he held his hands up in a prayer position in front of his chest to show this holiness) walking around here who appear to be pure and clean on the outside but are very bad and rotten on the inside (at which point he pointed to both his head and his heart and somewhat lower)....he understood EXACTLY what the problem was. Anyway...it is now in his hands and he said he will deal with it immediately...not to worry...and when I am ready to come back...just come see him and he will help me any way he can! And I believe him.

He called over some English girl who lives there for me to meet and when she heard the story she was very pleased I had finally said something. She has heard these stories before not just about him but many others here. Very sad. So I left feeling very good, knowing that I had done my best in a foreign place to help right a wrong and hope something will come of it. He actually said that if he doesn’t' stop this, he can even have him jailed but he will try first by just reasoning with him...

Then back to my room to "shower" off all the ayuverda oils, dinner, met Kelly on the street and so we strolled back together to the guesthouse and had a long talk. He was very pleased also to hear I had taken a definite action to try and do something and also thought I had done it the best way possible for a foreigner and that it might even help. It was a big decision making day for me and I feel"clean" and at peace and haven't felt that the last week or so.

I know some of you have written and told me it will not be possible to get back here in such a short period of time but I know that if that is what I really decide, it will happen. I've checked out all my options, Kelly will give me advice about what to bring and how to send stuff here I may need for a few month stay, I've got the godfather on my side, so what could go wrong? Now it all depends on what theUniverse has in store for me...but I think this is something that will happen and not later than April.