Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sept 20-22 The Whole Nasty Story Exposed…Part I

Will try and write about yesterday but it will be difficult...

Started the day with the interview which was very nice. This girl named Darya is studying Anthropology in Israel and her thesis is something about Israelis traveling in India. She came equipped with a video camera and set it up by my room and then just got me talking, talking, talking...

She also works for 101FM in Jerusalem and has aprogram on Monday nites from 12 to 2 in the morning. Very sweet girl. We had a real nice morning.

Then I went down and found out about the tickets and did some errands and came back to sleep for an hour before going down to a meeting of the local newspaper. Met an American named Joe who has been living here for 6 years and edits this newspaper. Seems like an old"flower child" but was quite nice if a little weird. Another volunteer also showed up named Richard from England who runs a newspaper and also has a computer company. He will be helping the 5 paid staff with the actual set-up and I will be doing the proofreading for the October issue. Will start "working" Monday morning at around 9:30.

Went back up to the room for awhile and then at 7 went to meet "the girls" . I was really pleased to see them and thought we were just out for a evening of fun. We ordered our food and then one of them started talking very quietly to me about what she was wanting to ask for my advice about for 3 days. It seems Akhilesh, the Reiki instructor made "improper advances"towards her. I won't go into the whole story but one of the other girls heard part of conversation and said "what, you too??” By this time I was ready to explode since what I didn't write earlier to all for all of you to see was that he started with ME as well.(the guy is 36 years old!!!)

I convinced myself, or let myself believe his explanation that it was the first time he had ever done something like that and he would NEVER do such a thing to a young vulnerable girl and jeopardize his livelihood and reputation of 7 years here by doing something so inappropriate and plain stupid. (he is an EXCELLENT yoga and reiki instructor and so much to offer that it is really horrible that such talent should be tainted in this way!!) that’s what my previous 2 long conversations with him were all about...

I cannot tell you how I began to churn inside...I sat with the girls for a few hours and we just talked andI realized that I am the one to take proper care of this guy. He fooled with the wrong person. I am now trying to figure out the best way to deal with him and make sure he NEVER does something like this again. Those poor girls were really traumatized as probably were all those who came before them and also came and went without telling a soul about what happened. The violation is even worse since it came via a "spiritual teacher" and not just some regular teacher...These 3 were at least smart enough to stop him before anything more serious happened but I'm sure not all of those he tried with were that lucky.

I first thought to confront him but am now looking for a more official channel to do this. Lonely planet,Lametayel in Israel, local newspaper here, notices also on the bulletin boards (in Hebrew since most of his clients are Israeli anyway ) but am still checking with local people about the best way to do this.

I am now after a nice massage and in the middle of an arthritis attack.. not too bad but not real good either. I met a new "old" lady this morning...named Esti from Jerusalem. This is her 8th trip to India. So we also talked for awhile and gidi and merav left this morning and will be going home soon.

Now waiting for lunch and then I have another reiki class to help with and have to now act as if all is regular and normal...hope I can do it...I will use him for now to get my certificate and THEN I will do him in!!

September 22nd. - 5 PM Went to Reiki yesterday and spoke to him and will be finishing up shortly. Apparently he was stalling as having me as his assistant for the last couple of weeks had made his life simpler. I did I lot for him in the courses...

I have done alot of thinking and discussed this with a couple of locals and the final decision I think is to let people know via local notices, letter to the newspaper and also to LP and Lametayel that there is a great yoga and Reiki teacher here but forewarn them about what could happen. That way each person makes his or her own informed decision.

I came back last nite and Esti was waiting for me and she and Dyanne after meeting, started talking about Darjeleeng and Sikkim and it sounded so perfect! for the remainder of my trip, that I've decided to go there after Rajastan. The south will have to wait.

Spoke with Kelly (the american living here for 3 years) this morning and he will start taking me to meet locals and find housing should I come back and then gave a reiki treatment to Dafna (one of thetraumatized girls) and we went out to eat. Nice girl.Will do 2 more treatments for her..hope it helps.

Had a fairly peaceful day for the rest of the day. It is now 8:30 and finishing up here before going to dinner. Tomorrow I hope to get back up into the mountains after I treat Dafna...I miss my walks. Hope my knee and hip will be better this time.