Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Friday, September 29, 2006

Sept. 17th Rosh Hashana at Beit Chabad

Went to sleep quite late and got up this morning to a beautiful sunny day. Did some laundry, read, ate some breakfast and finally decided to go out "shopping" and was talking to Dyanne about this evening..Merav and Gidi went up to Beit Chabad to help set up and cook etc. And we will all meet around 4:30 to go up there.

Then I had lunch.. a pizza just as good as any I ever made at home without tons of cheese ..Then back to the room to get ready for Rosh Hashana. Checked out someplaces in rajastan with dyanne and that's pretty set. Just have to now make reservations.

Then dyanne and I went up to Beit chabad for erev chag. Didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. About 500 Israelis, 99% young (even was someone there from the TV...channel 3 or 2 filming) a tent had been set up outside and there were little tables (basically large footstools ) and everyone just crowded in wherever there was a space available on the straw mats. Men and women were separated for Tefilah (prayers) but afterwards everyone just moved around. I actually enjoyed the Tefila...reminded me of rabbi Kaminetsky in Gush Katif...and thought to go again tomorrow but forgot I have to be someplace so will go again on second day chag if I can. ...it was a mad house but a very peaceful, quiet and well organized and well run one at the same time. Kiddush, challah, apple and honey, pomegrantes, salad,rice, potato and some green vegetable in sauce, and fish and all this served to everyone with amazing proficiency and with no hassle or shouting or anything...I have never seen Israelis so well behaved!! Some singing and the rabbi gave a short 5 minutes speech in which he managed to explain among other things about the tragedy in the States. In the Kabbalah it says that the Moshiach will come in the seventh year (this year is shmitta) but right before he comes before that seventh year there will be a terrible tragedy or war. So he is now sure that the Moshiach is already here and will show his face sometime this year (in the personage of the Rebbe)

Anyway...I was particularly surprised to see how many religious (or former religious) girls were there. [couldn't see on the guys side] and you could tell by the way they prayed...it was very obvious. And very interesting that they are traveling in India. Food here basically is not a problem as 80% of the restaurants are pure vegetarian. Which is why I am also having such a good time eating here. I just found it interesting to see them. You can't spot them on the streets but it was obvious during the services who they were.

Alot of the kids commented about how they wish they were home now eating Mama's cooking and I had expected a wild bunch just pouncing on the food and then leaving...but they all seemed kind of mellow, pensive and subdued...it was really nice.. Kol Hakovod to chabad. Tomorrow I also have a busy day...I think if I had realized that I wanted to go back toBeit Chabad for tefila, I would have cancelled my plans...but hopefullyI will go on Wednesday to hear Tekiat Shofar.