Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Oct. 1, 2001- Meeting HH the Dalai Lama...and Pizza!

12:30 AM

Got up this morning, and darya came to meet me to go off together to the Dalai Lama, ate breakfast together in my room, checked train tickets, stopped to check the newspaper office and down to the temple.

It was all surprisingly quiet and orderly. We lined up according to our number...we were 21 and 22, were frisked and then went up to wait in a courtyard for about 45 minutes. We were luckily in the shade and it was not too bad.

Sat on the floor finally and then they ushered the whole crowd of hundreds of peopleinto a single file line and we all walked passed His Holiness, shook hands, got a red string from a monk and left.

Now this all sounds very undramatic and banal and I don't know how other people felt, but I personally had a strange experience after seeing him and shaking hands. My whole body started to tingle with electric energy and I had an overwhelming urge to cry followed by a sudden wave of calm which enveloped me and I smiled broadly. The tingling in my body lasted about 5 minutes but for more than 1/2 hour I had enormous heat and energy surging and accumulating in my hands, which had turned red and it was quite uncomfortable, as if I had to plunge them in coldwater. The heat eventually dissipated and life got back to "normal".

Went to lunch and today met 3 new people, Guy, Sigal and Rani, won't go into details now, maybe tomorrow...but all 3 are in their 30's and have interesting stories. Now this evening, they decided to go to this very famous Pizzeria out in the middle of nowhere and I decided to join them. Again, no details now, I am too tired, but it was a fantastic adventure and again, I played the Mother role...all in all, I walked over 2 hours through pitch black mountains with no roads or even path, using a flashlite most of the way to eat Pizza!! more tomorrow.

Can't believe I have to leave here in a week!! Met 2 Australians today who left yesterday, got to the train station in Panthankot like I will be doing next week...and just before the train pulled out, they got off, forfeited their tickets and came back here for another week. This place has magnetic energy which doesn't release you! It is really going to be hard for me to leave. I feel like I don't need anything else in life but this room...even without a shower to be content...at least I know I will be back.