Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Thursday, September 28, 2006

My Role as Mother...and Thoughts on Beggars

MY ROLE AS “MOTHER”
Keep having these dreams and impressions about my role in life being a Mother. I remember even as a little girl (even though I didn't play with dolls...I was too much of a tomboy) I always imagined myself being a Mother "when I grow up". Of course, I always saw myself with lots of sons to play ball with and stuff but I only recently realized that all my daughters were God's way of putting me more in touch with my feminine side. I remember myself baby sitting, always taking care of babies and children, and even when I was all grown up, already a Mother still playing Mother to other mothers. As La Leche League always says "mothering the mother".

And the truth is, no matter what I do I become a mother figure to people. Even when I worked in MCP or MTRE,I was "the official Mother" at MTRE, with all the young kids, that's what I felt like and liked the role. And wherever I go, people seem to be attracted to me as a mother for there particular immediate needs. (I even got an e-mail today from Akilesh who addressed it "dear mom Jane"!!).

I see it even when I work with people at home with healing, bach flowers, Breastfeeding counseling, whatever, I fall into the role of wise Mother. Even here in India, most of the people I meet see me as Mother.

so, I've come to the conclusion that is the more specific role of my general life purpose of helping people. It is to help from the perspective of, or in the role of, gentle, loving , compassionate and unconditional loving Mother. And I like this idea! It has brought further clarity to my understanding myself and my purpose and direction. Even MY Mother has placed me in the role of "Mother" the last couple of years!!

BEGGARS

I had been having a lot of trouble with the beggar issue to ignore them and contribute a lump sum to some school or something before leaving. But on the street I felt horrible inside and so I finally decided to follow my heart and I've been giving 10 rupees toevery "honest" beggar I see. For me it is no money and I feel whole with myself now and know I am doing the right thing. I have my 2 special friends who I sit and "talk" with every so often and had our picture taken as well. They are really nice people who have been given a raw deal in life (they are lepers as aremost of the beggars in this town).and if I can make it a little easier for them, and many others here, why not! It could be in a big city like Delhi this approach is impossible, but here it is fine. To see their smiles each day and to hear their "good morning" when I pass...even on days when they know I am not giving anything, gives me great happiness and peace of mind.