Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Saturday, August 26, 2006

October 14, 2004 Just Stuff

Hi all,
I've been asked a couple of questions in recent e-mails so before I begin today's letter, I will try and answer them all in one go...
Abdellah, for those who asked, is the guy who lives next door to me, who I met last year....just a quick reminder, his parents are from Algeria, he grew up in france....his mother is muslim, his step-father and that whole side of his family is Jewish...he lived for 18 years in the states and now is in India studying to be a buddhist...he is a wonderful person and great friend and we have really great fun times together........
Avik and I are defintiiely not getting married in India as that became a technical problem, but as things are going, I've discovered some very disturbing things about him and it doesn't look good for any future together...I will not go into any details here
And...the weather has changed!!! It is beautiful and even warm today and seems like it will continue...not a cloud in site...perhaps the people here were right and the weather just got confused at it has all over the world and the month or so of nice weather will begin now...
Now...to today's journal:
Thursday October 14th
Up at 6 today and saw the sunrise...as well as the dawn of a beautiful day. Crispy cold but sunny and singing birds...not a cloud in the sky...Bropught all the warm dirty clothes from the the past 2 weeks to the laundry by 8:30 having finished my daily reiki, pranayama, meditation and even light breakfast. Avik was finally ready at 10:30 (!) and we headed up to Dharamkot...up the back road to Heena cafe...his never wanting to stop anywhere for a drink or just to enjoy...just walk...but we are now down at the pizza place after coming back down and I am having banofee while he looks on...He will then go to Beit Chabad to check out classes (turns out a class was starting today but I think he wasn't really serious as he spoke to Dror (the rabbi there) and then told me he couldn't be bothered...or perhaps he didn't like the looks of the place...but he didn't want to begin the class any way....) Tomorrow night we just saw is the last classical Indian Music concert in Bhagsu...the cold weather has chased away the tourists and the town is closing up early...too bad!.
I've been practicing from my book about "mindfulness Meditation" working very hard on "being here" in the moemnt...it can be quite beautiful...this trip is very different I think either I am with the wrong person or just not meant to travel with ANY person.
At any rate...we continued down the mountain throught the woods and wound up in Bhagsu where avik wanted to buy a sweater...We checked out the shops and he finally found what he liked and I also found a couple of things I had been looking for since last year when they were stolen...and I ALSO found out something else about Avik which actually really surprised me...I found out he is not very generous and actually commented on my buying things...I really was surprised by this! I will go shopping from now on by myself...it was really uncomfortable feeling like I had to explain myself...and the stuff is so cheap it is really silly. He complained that I didn't know how to bargain and paid to much for things etc...when in effect all this bargaining saves maybe, if you are lucky, 2-3 shekels per item!!! At one point I showed him a shirt for him which I thought he would like. The guy asked 200 rupees...Avik said 180...the guy said no...avik continued....after about 15 minutes of haggling, the guy finally said he already wrapped it so Avik could have it for 150...at which point abik said...I never really wanted it...jsut wanted to see how low I could get you to go!!!!
Anyway...I then went and had a thali while avik again looked on (claiming he is not hungry) and I suggested he go for a swim in the place I mentioned in an earlier journal...and he did. I went down and made a new appointment for another ayurveda massage on monday and then we met up...and guess what he had for lunch??? Felafel!!!....We then came down to McLeod and went looking for tashi thinking avik could see how he does the thangka paintings, since he k\likes to know the technical side of all craftmanship things. Well, he wasn't there, I am now at the internet and avik went back to the room....He also had a hindi lesson yesterday and has been practicing all kinds of words etc. before his next lesson on Saturday.
We also met kelly in town and perhaps will see him later this evening or another afternoon. Hard to catch him in his room...
tomorrow we have to go back to dharamsala to get the clothes we had sticked and I thought we would make a day of it and also meet abdellah for a movie...but avik doesn't want to go to a "silly" Hindi movie as he's already seen one...I've not seen a "real" one yet, but maybe I'll go with abdellah...or maybe not...we'll see tomorrow...
Avik also went to pick up his glasses and one of the lenses was not the right prescription so they will fix them and we will go back in a few days.
That's about it..
The really good news of course is the weather and my mood being somewhat beter and hope it continues....I seem to be just floating from day to day with nothing of imporantance happening...although perhaps what I am learning about avik is all very important, and that is the reason for this trip...I wish I could feel more relaxed and just enjoy myself as I am used to, but it is difficult when another person is involved....
Well, I'll close here...my love to all....I know this journal is getting really boring, but of course no one has to really read it but me....perhaps things will pick up...if not, I will just be home earlier than planned...
Again...love to all...