Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Saturday, August 26, 2006

October 13, 2004- SNOW in Bhagsu!

Wed, october 13th
Dear All,
Back to Monday when we got stuck at the waterfall. We made it back to the room just before the real storm began...abdellah was also back...avik had left all the windows open when he came back (we had split up when we got down from bhagsu after eating lunch up there...he went up to the room and I stayed at the internet)... and rain lashed by piercing cold winds was coming into the room. Really stupid total disinterest in everything around him! Well, I closed everything up and locked all the windows and closed the curtains but they continued to blow as the wind found all the cracks. The wind was howling and lashing the rain in all directions which pounded on teh roof with a fury. I prepared supper ( pea soup with frnaks) and abdellah preparied his part of the meal and avik lay in bed reading. It was getting colder by the minute and I was really sorry I hadn't bought the sweater and warm pants yet. I put on my thermal underwear though and had my fleece on and after dinner we went across to watch a movie (Calendar Girls...fabulous...I recommend it for a pleasant treat)) and abdellah lit his heater...REALLY nice. Figured it had to be about 10 degrees outside...it was really really cold. I slept with my fleece and layers of clothing, the quilt, 2 blankets and the shawel on my around my shoulders and head and was cozy warm. even got too warm during the nite....we woke up to a beautiful but wintry day.
Tuesday....Avik went with abdellah to the library again (doesn't want to go anymore now...says it is repetitive and goes around in circles) and I went off for an ayurveda massage...finally found someone good and I'd forgotten how wonderful it is!!! 1 hour was 350 and 2 hours 500 so of course I did 2 hours!!!
On the way up to Bhagsu to the massage...of course the far mountain range was covered with snow, but to my great surprise, the mountain just above Bhagsu was ALSO white!!! I've never seen that and am told it doesn't usually happen until december or january....Apparently even the local were as surprised as I was and haven't seen it at this time of year as everyone was pointing and staring and jabbering away excitedly at the site.AFter the massage....it was quite cold in the room and this distacted somewhat from the pleasure but not THAT much...
I came back to the room and we avik and I took a jeep down to Dharamsala...shared jeeps are always an expereince and this was his first time...I had TOLD him what to expect but he was sure I was exxagerating...he found out I was not!...Well, we got safely down to the "big town" and went to look around the market....I found a nice piece of fabric by chance and had taken my favorite around the house pants with me just in case (I bought them 9 years ago at Pua in Pardes Chana and love them to this day)...and so ordered a pair make by a tailor who was recommended. If he does good work, I will the a few more things done by him and then have my wardrobe set for a few years.
Came back to Mcleod and again avik left me (he has to go pee all the time...worse than me...so goes back to the room often, not always wanting to go into a restaurant and just use the toilet)...and I found the sweater I wanted as well as a warm pair of flannel pants...so now I am set...just need a warmer shawel...When I went into the shops, all the Tibetan lady shopowners were SOOOOOO happy as all the tourists are buying up all the warm clothes....Everywhere I went people were trying on sweaters and warm pants...and laughing at the absurdity of it!
Woke up ;this morning and although it is not raining it is quite cold...wonder what will be...but at least now I am warm enough....
Today Avik went up to find out about a 10 day course in Tushita on Buddhist philosopy and will meet me here shortly I hope and we will go down to walk around the Temple (Kora) and then pick up the rest of the stuff at the pharmacy hopefully and my malla which is still not completed...he keeps forgetting or just wants me to come and visit all the time...told him I will start charging HIM money until it is done!!!
that's about it for now...I will give this place another week or so and see what happens...I really don't want to leave but also don't want to just stay if the weather remains so cold....most people here are optimistic that it has not yet warmed up after the monsoon and there will still be at least a month of warm weather, even though it is starting late....I will think positively as well!!
My love to all...