Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Saturday, August 26, 2006

October 11, 2004-Weather, Walkaround and Pizza in Dharamkot

Dear All,
Monday. October 11th
I am sitting here at the internet cafe and must tell you all that I am
beginning to really become depressed by the weather...In fact, since
I've been here, there has really only been one truly nice day and that
was this past Saturday, which I will write about soon. I can only hope
that the good weather is still waiting to arrive and I will see have at
least one month of god weather here...because I honestly do not feel
like travelling anywhere else, just getting the best out of this home
away from home. Today is REALLY cold and miserable, even though the
sun was out this mornig. The mountains are covered in snow and people
are all talking about the very strange weather. We went out this
morning around 10, and the clouds had rolled in by then, but decided to
try for the Bhagsu waterfall anyway. Well, truth is, we started up and
it was cold but otherwise OK and when we got half way up it began
raining ...we made it to the little place up on top...we are now
sitting in pouring monsoon type rain in the little enclosure with all
the painted signs...freezing...and it looks like we may be here for a
couple of hours...(we were there for about 1 hour all in all but came
down in light drizzle which picked up as we approached bhagsu)...It was
scarey walking down as it was quite slippery but we made it without
trouble, had someth;ing to eat in bhagsu, freezing all the time. I
keep thinking to buy some warm clothing but then think I may not need
it...it is like Israel in the middle of the winter...really
depressing...
anyway...enough of that...back to saturdya, which was glorious...We
started out by walking up TIPA road to Dharamkot, a very pleasant 25
minute walk and always a pleasure. Got to the tea-house...Anil and
Avik met up and there were not very pleasant looks passing between
them...it was actaully quite funny. We had tea and then continued
walking aacross the mountain, enjoying the magnificent view which was
perfectly clear in every direction. The view down the valley, across
to McLeod, up to the snow capped peaks in the distance, all perfectly
clear. On the way we met three women, actually 2 younger girls and an
older one whose face was completely smashed in on one side in what
looked like a recent injury. They were cutting wood and we said hello
back and forth and continued on our way. After getting to the end of
the mountain road, I took Avik up one of the small back paths which
leads to the small monestary in the woods and we sat there just taking
in the beauty of the forest, with prayer flags overhead and monkeys in
the trees. And just then we heard someone calling "hello" from
below...it was the same 3 women, and when they saw us sitting there,
climbed directly up the side of the mountain without a path to sit with
us. I knew they wanted something, as they were very freindly and the
older one was complaining about it being hard to breathe and her back
hurting etc. and the younger ones just smailling and saying hello,
hello hello...after while of this smiling etc. they began to get up to
leave when finally the youngest one said "You give me sweet??" Well, I
didn't have any with me, but did have chewing gum, so emptied out my
stash between them and they were ever so hapy...but then, I asked in
exchange to take their picture, which they were very happy about...and
we all went on our way. We got back to Dharamkot and then headed
across to the pizza place, noting all the new building along the
mountain, including the new Beit Chabad. We got to the pizza place
which I think serves the best pizza I've ever eaten, and I usually DO
NOT eat pizza because of the cheese, but here I am willing to make the
sacrifice to my health!...The pizza finally arrived and I began to
gobble my half, Avik slowly eating one slice and then stopping, never
commenting if it was good, bad, whatever...I was quite surprised but
kept eating away...I was starving and it was great!...When I finally
slowed down, I realized that he was not eating...and I asked if it
wasn't good...He said, "it's pizza!" and then I realized he was
finished, ...one slice being enough for him...it was quite
strange...anyway...we continued down the mountain to Bhagsu, again
noting the enormous amount of new buildings which had gone up...and
went to check if Akhilesh was around...He was! (Darya...you have warm
regards back)....He came down and we had tea together and a lovely
talk. He has come along way since I first met him...his english is
quite good these days and he has a newfound dignity about him...He had
just come back from 2 months in Switzerland, fRance and Spain, mostly
vacationing but also giving workshops on yoga, meditation and
philosophy. From there we went up to the Bhagsu temple and I was about
to show avik the way up to the waterfall, when I realized all of a
suddden that the one think avik was missing here was swimming, and I
realized there was not only a pool, but one with freezing water in it
which he loves, and showed it to him. Lots of guys were diving in and
enjoying themselves and he almost stripped down to his underpants to
join them...but agreed to wait for another day when he would come by
himself. So now he is completely content. He has a Hindi teacher and
starts lessons on Wednesday, goes with Abdellah to study buddhism at
the library, is now checking out a monestary course and on the 15th is
thinking of taking a residential course for a week at Tushita...Anyway,
from Bhagsu we came back to Mclead, bought more clothes for Avik, found
a new optician who just opened in town and he also ordered glasses, had
dinner at nick's and then came home.. All in all a very nice day.
The relationship between abdellah and I has become strained as well a
little as avik, although he likes him alot and claims to have a great
rapport with him...is alos jealous of the time we spend togehter and
our conversations...much as he is of my time with Edna or the girls.
Well, eventually we will get out of here (the top of the waterfall
place I am sitting)...it is actually fascinating watiching the clouds
up here...it is as if a giant smoke machine is working overtime at full
power blowing the coulds across in our direction...
I will end here...
Truly hope the weather clears up before long...I've really had my
fill!!!! Going up to the room now to make split pea soup to warm us
up...
My love to all...and thanks to those who wrote!!!!! Will try and reply
to each of you personally...
Love...Jane