Jane's India Journals

Journals from 2001, 2003 and 2004

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Buddhist Lesson, Physical Condition, Abdellah, Tashi and Anil!

Hi All,
Well, today is Sunday but I have to go back to where I last left off and catch up here...Which is back to the day I went to the library to check out the Buddhist philosophy classes with abdellah.

aside: just a quick note...I've been having a lovely breakfast each morning for the past week or so. Abdellah couldn't resist the guys selling apples everyday outside the library, so each day he brough a bagful, and I had to have something to do with all of them. Then I remembered something my mother used to make for me when I was little. Grated apples with raisins and honey. Well, I had just purchased a grater so I could make potato kugel and so I've been eating now grated apples, raisins, almonds which I cut up inside and then crumble a granola bar for lack of granola...quite delicious.
OK...back to catching up:
Well, the walk down to the library was my first good walk since I got here and the lesson was interesting to say the least. First was some chanting and I just did some meditation and then the lesson started. Nice older monk with a lovely twinkly smile...each day they discuss a sentence very much like debates over Gemarrah actually desecting hidden meanings behind words etc. But this directed at the western and not necessarily buddhist mind. Sorry I didn't have pen and paper out...but much of what was discussed today was similar to my own framed page hanging at home about choosing joy:
suffering is inevitable but misery is a choice...etc.
Couple of quotes which struck home and have since given me some insights into my past as well as my present:
"Unhappiness is the food of anger"
"All shit stinks" - yes, that's what the monk said!
The hours went by quickly and I may go back once in awhile but not every day . All is translated by the way for the past 15 years for the same monk by an older british lady who is also a buddhist and well versed in the subjects.
Rested and then cooked chicken soup and we just fninshed eating chicken soup and kneidlach! Another lovely day has gone by...;perhaps we will see a movie...ah...taught Abdellah to play rummy today so now I have someone to play cards with as well. Anyone out there who remembers other games which are easy to learn...please remind me.
Also looking for food that is easy to prepare on just one burner...thanks for suggesttions
So far nothing extraordinary ahs happened but I think this is as it should be now and I am quite at peace with the way things are going. Think tomorrow will go up to Dharamkot (Friday) and just walk alone for awhile. The time has come and the weather is getting nicer with each passing day. Today was the first day I ventured out without my umbrella and fleece.
Friday-Erev Yom Kippur
Saw the movie "RUnning on Empty" last nite...beautiful movie and very well done.
Went to sleep last nite with the absolute knowledge that today would be beautiful and I would finally make my way "up the mountain". I so love. The weather is beautiful, not a sign of monsoon, crisp fresh, clean mountain air, crows, monkeys, cicadas...But I honestly had no idea whatsoever that I was so completely out of shape. Before my last 2 trips I made a point of doing long wlaks on a regular basis, even walking a treadmill and "cross" for 2 months prior to getting here. This time, I've spent most of the last 1/2 year doing very little of this type of thing and the last 3 weeks before leaving I literally "sat" all day with my daughter Avivia most of the time while she recoeverd from health problems.
And I am now feeling the effects. I took the "hard" back road up to Dharamakot and it was extremely difficult...more so than ever before. But made it to the tea house, had some apple juice and was getting ready to start walking (I was happy that anil wasn't there), when all of a sudden he arrived.
"where are you going?"
- not sure- either this way or that
- OK...I'll catch up to you
-No thanks, how will you find me...don't know myself where I'm going
-don't worry
Anyway, I got to this really quiet place where I first sat down to write. Up by a monastary out in the forest...surrounded by prayer flags and tranquility and started to write. Now I was walking slwly but Anil runs these mountain paths as if he was a mountain goat. and just a few mintues later, he had found me....and I know for a fact he had to check a couple of paths on the way...anyway...asked if I'd like to see a nice spot and my mistake was in saying "yes". But he did take me up the side of the mountain to a really great spot which I hope I can find again on my own....as a matter of fact I'm still up here lost in the forest and hope I find my way down using his instructions.
Well, long story short...tried to start with me...was very gentle about it but his intentions were clear...even said he can't help himself even after our talk last week. Bottom line is, he left quite frustrated after a very embarrassed apology...and although I was flattered by the attention, not pleased with the whole thing. He tried persuasion of all kinds "no one has ever said no to me before in this spot"..."life is short" "Enjoy the moment" "Who would know" blah blah blah
Asked him who all these others were who went along with him..."young girls" "Well, I'm an old experienced lady and this stuff just doesn't work on me...so behave yourself...you're acting like a bad little boy!" and that was the end of it. After his fluster of apology, and request to stay frineds, we parted amicably. "Now I believe you really mean NO...please don't be angry...I'm truly sorry!"
I am now goint to try and find my out of here...and hope to hit the compute later today
Back in the room after 2 hours on the computer and never even caught up!. So many people to write to...how will I manage? Don't have any desire to "computer"
Read, did yoga, nice dinner of pasta and then saw "Farenheit 9/11. All I can say is, if you haven't see it...see it! We sat for a long time just diffusing our thoughts and emotions after seeing it. Abdellah had seen it before and said the impact is more powerful each time you see it. As wellas the intense emotions it arouses, wonder how Americans felt when they saw it. Hey, American relatives....give me some feedback from your point of view. What did this film do for you..how did you feel...what do you think?
Saturday nite:
Up early this morning. Went to see Tashi, af friend of my firend Shahar. He is a tangka painter, buddhist religious paintings..a sweet young tibetan with interesting life sotry...perhaps some other time.
We spent a pleasant hour together up on his roof looking out at the walways spectacular view. Had a good view of Triund. Then had my 11 op'clock appointment with dondup. Did even deeper work this time and I always feel so LIGHT when I leave. Next appointment not until Firday..he's so booked!
Got back and Abdellah and I walked up and across the mountaint to the next village of Naddi...fabulous walk, new vistas and test of my physical condition. I am quite frustrated with myself. I didn't realize I had lost so much of my fitness this past year. This has been a serious wake up call for me that at this age we cannot afford to be lax. I will have to do lots of walking here and then go to the gym regularly when i get back. I can actually walk with no problem for hours if it is sstraight but the minute it starts going up hill it is a real struggle for breath as well as muscle work. Thought the dancing would be enough to keep me in shaope for this but it is not. We had a wonderful luch overlooking the whole Daladaur range and then took a different rout back...all in all we were for for 4 hours...just rested now, dinner soon, and then "terminal".
I find it so very special being with Abdellah. It is so easy and natural and we both enjoy each others company and never seem to get bored. He was menitoned in the channeling I got as a great and true friend who is with me now and this is true. On the other hand I am spending much less time alone than I anticipated but I imagine there is a purpose in this and believe it is for my Higher Good at this point in time. I know things will be different when Avik arrives as there is no way we will be as caomfortable as a threesome. or maybe yes????? Who knows...only time will tell. and whatever is meant to be WILL BE>
Will continue next time and will write about the movie Terminal which we saw...I've had it for today (which is Sunday)
My love to all...and my special thanks to all those who take the time to write and my apologies for not always answering.
Jane